Saturday, June 19, 2010

Mikhail Tal, "The magician from Riga"

                   
Mikhail Tal was often called "The magician from Riga" for his daring combinational style. And when you are getting too famous for this style...Well, here is a quote from Mikhail Tal: 

"It's funny, but many people don't understand why I draw so many games nowadays. They think my style must have changed but this is not the case at all. The answer to this drawing disease is that my favorite squares are e6, f7, g7 and h7 and everyone now knows this. They protect these squares not once but four times!" 

A great book written by Mikhail Tal is "The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal".

Look inside the book at Amazon.










 
Video: Mikhail Tal vs John Van der Wiel, Moscow 1982



                          

The game at Chessgames.com
            
             

Blog Archive

About me

I played my first chess game in December 1977 and was lucky to hold draw. I continued to play chess and joined a chess club in September 1978. I'm still enjoying playing chess. I like to do many other things than playing chess. Long walks, some jogging, cycling, reading books, listen to music, watch movies, writing and much more. Life is fun!