Friday, April 22, 2011

Activity of the pieces and Pawn structure

         
Activity of the pieces

The most important single feature of a chess position is the activity of the pieces.

– Michael Stean, Simple Chess 

The primary constraint on piece's activity is the Pawn structure.
– Michael Stean, Simple Chess 

The job of the chessplayer must therefore be to use his skill to create a Pawn set-up which will allow his own pieces the optimum freedom and stability, while denying his opponent's similar scope.
– Michael Stean, Simple Chess 

Look after your Pawns 

Look after your Pawns and your pieces will look after themselves.
– Michael Stean, Simple Chess
        
              

Blog Archive

About me

I played my first chess game in December 1977 and was lucky to hold draw. I continued to play chess and joined a chess club in September 1978. I'm still enjoying playing chess. I like to do many other things than playing chess. Long walks, some jogging, cycling, reading books, listen to music, watch movies, writing and much more. Life is fun!